The University of Connecticut’s (UConn) Master’s (MS) in Data Science is an 11-month cohort-based on-campus (Storrs, Connecticut) professional graduate degree. The 30 credit-hour program has an integrated multidisciplinary core of seven courses (18 credits) that provide foundational data science knowledge and skills. Students develop additional domain-focused expertise by choosing from among one of 12 industry-aligned concentrations or by developing an individualized pathway from the extensive number of available elective courses. The program places an extensive focus on data ethics and equity throughout the curriculum. All students are required to complete a 3 credit hour applied industry-based capstone project that builds and showcases data science skills gained through core and elective courses.
Fall 2023 Application Deadline: June 1, 2023 at 11:59 PM EDT
Learner and outcome focused, UConn's Master's in Data Science develops core competencies that are aligned with workforce and industry needs.
Upon conclusion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Identify and collect appropriate data to support robust inferences and predictions to facilitate decision making.
- Gather, manage, clean, merge, transform, and summarize data from disparate sources using programming and scripting tools.
- Visualize complex data sets to support analysis and prediction and to support decision making by end-users.
- Conduct associational and causal analyses using modeling approaches, computational statistical learning techniques, and best practices across domains.
- Apply machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms to large, heterogeneous, unstructured data sets to achieve optimal accuracy levels on test data.
- Perform big data analytics through the efficient use of algorithms, high-performance computing, and out-of-core computing in cloud computing environments.
- Evaluate the reliability and validity of inferences and predictions.
- Communicate analytic insights across different domains using a variety of data visualization strategies and tools.
- Incorporate best practices for project and data management and documentation in collaborative team environments.
- Evaluate the ethical, legal, and social impacts of the data science process, including considerations of diversity, equity, inclusion, data privacy, data security, and data ownership within a broader social and international context, especially in addressing systemic biases and inequities.
- Integrate domain-specific knowledge and cross-domain collaboration to produce more accurate modeling, analysis, and predictions.
Designed to be one of the most multi-disciplinary, results driven data science master’s degrees in the US.
UConn offers one of the best-value, applied data science master’s degrees in the US. Students develop advanced knowledge and proficiency in core areas of data science and competencies in specialized domains through focused industry-aligned concentrations and practical hands-on applied learning and capstone projects. Special emphasis is placed on data ethics and equity. Courses are taught by UConn’s distinguished faculty from five Schools and Colleges including the School of Business, School of Engineering, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, College of Agriculture, Health, and Natural Resources, and the Neag School of Education.
UConn’s Master’s in Data Science is an 11-month cohort based full-time in-person program and is eligible for F-1 and J-1 visa sponsorship. Courses are offered on the University of Connecticut’s Storrs, CT USA Campus. This program is eligible for the STEM OPT extension that affords certain F-1 graduate students an opportunity to apply for a 24-month extension of their post-completion optional practical training (OPT). The program does not offer graduate assistantships and scholarships at this time.
An MS in Data Science From a Top-Ranked (R1) University
The University of Connecticut is ranked in the Top 25 Public Schools by US News & World Report and is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
UConn's MS in Data Science Graduate Program offers twelve concentrations ranging from Biostatistics to Cybersecurity to Business Data Science.