The University of Connecticut’s (UConn) Master’s (MS) in Data Science - Business Data Science concentration is a 30-credit on-campus graduate degree focused on data science methods used within business-related fields. Consisting of 18 credits of UConn data science core courses paired with 9 credits of Operations and Information Management (OPIM) courses, the program culminates with a 3-credit capstone project. The capstone experience provides graduates with an in-depth understanding of how to apply data science knowledge and techniques within a business-oriented climate.
A data science master’s program bringing out the best in businesses.
Data-driven businesses are dominating today — learn to explore, visualize, model, and derive custom insights from data using state-of-the-art methods and software. Within this business-driven data science master’s concentration, we will cover important topics focused on visual analytics, business intelligence, business decision making, survival analytics and data lakes, all with a pervading theme focusing on ethical practice and research technique.
Graduates are well prepared for employment in data science careers in both the public and private sectors, including, ecommerce, insurance, supply chain management, healthcare and banking.
- STAT 5405 Applied Statistics for Data Science (3 credits)
- STAT 5125 Statistical Computing for Data Science (3 credits)
- CSE 5819 Introduction to Machine Learning (3 credits)
- CSE 5713 Data Mining and Management (3 credits)
- OPIM 5501 Data Visualization and Communication (2 credits)
- EPSY 5641 Research Design and Measurement for Data Science (2 credits)
- ARE 5353 Data Ethics and Equity (2 credits)
Specialty Courses (Choose 3 of the following)
- OPIM 5501 – Visual Analytics (3 credits)
- OPIM 5502 – Big Data Analytics with Hadoop (3 credits)
- OPIM 5504 – Adaptive Business Intelligence (3 credits)
- OPIM 5509 – Introduction to Deep Learning (3 credits)
- OPIM 5511 – Survival Analysis using SAS (3 credits)
- OPIM 5512 – Data Science using Python (3 credits)
- GRAD 5800 Applied Capstone in Data Science (3 credits)
Overall job growth - 10 years
25% Earn more than
professional, scientific and technical service top industry jobs
Fall 2022: July 15, 2022 at 11:59 PM EDT.
UConn’s Master’s in Data Science is an 11-month cohort based full-time in-person program and is eligible for F-1 and J-1 visa sponsorship. Courses are offered on the University of Connecticut’s Storrs, CT USA Campus. This program is eligible for the STEM OPT extension that affords certain F-1 graduate students an opportunity to apply for a 24-month extension of their post-completion optional practical training (OPT). The program does not offer graduate assistantships and scholarships at this time.